Friday, July 23, 2010

Becoming an Intentional Encourager~ Week 2

This week's challenge at Snapshots from my Heart & Home is all about your relationship with your husband and being a good encourager to him. This is so timely. My husband and I just yesterday had a conversation about how we communicate with each other.

You see, he is an engineer. Very analytical and precise in his thoughts.

Me, I'm creative and sensitive (sometimes overly sensitive!)

I tend to jump right into a conversation before he is done asking a question or finishing a thought. I think I know what he is going to say, but as I reflect on this, I'm answering myself. Not him. He gets so frustrated because he could ask a "yes" or "no" question, and I launch into a narrative.

This week, I am going to keep my mouth shut and let him speak. I will not interrupt, predict what he is going to say, or speak with a harsh tongue.

It all comes down to showing him the respect of LISTENING to what he is saying, not what I THINK he is saying.

Last week's challenge was encouraging my children. I updated last weeks post with the results. Go check it out!

I pray that God will help me be the great wife my husband deserves!

1 comment:

  1. Julie, I am so thrilled that you are joining in on Week 2's challenge! I love your post and can't wait to hear how it turns out! Thanks for linking up and joining us...you can count on my prayers for you as you challenge yourself to be a better "respectful listener". It can be difficult sometimes if you are used to being the one doing most of the talking. Great job making the decision to step out of your comfort zone and work on your communication skills. It may take a little time but you will start seeing the changes in your relationship. I know God is working on me in this area too and the blessings are so awesome as He does the work of transforming me. You CAN do it!

    Praying for you everyday!!!

    Encouraging in Jesus,

    Mary Joy

    ReplyDelete