Sunday, March 15, 2009

Well, here it is, Sunday again. I can't believe how time is flying. It seems like Christmas was just yesterday, and now in 6 days, my baby, K will be 4. It makes me so sad to see her leaving "toddlerhood" and entering "the preschool years". I've been very nostalgic the last couple of days looking at old pictures and remembering when we brought her home from the hospital. She is growing into a thoughtful, sweet child. This morning at church, she was so proud of herself because she said The Lords Prayer. I couldn't believe she had memorized it. She is so amazing to me.

This week, I read an article in Mom's Ladies Home Journal about a young mother (34 or 35) who had been diagnosed with an inoperable, cancerous tumor on her spine. The doctors couldn't tell her how long she had or how long it would take for the cancer to spread to other parts of her body. She has 2 young children (4 & 7). She is struggling with keeping scrapbooks for her children so that they will always remember her. This article touched me deeply. I started thinking what would my girls remember if I were no longer here?
I did 2 things.
1. I've started an 8X8 album for each girl that is all about me. I know it sounds very conceited, but I'm putting memories of my childhood, things I like and dislike, letters to them and all kind of stuff so that they will remember me.
2. I saw a note in the LHJ editor's column that asked for people who scrap to volunteer to help the ill mom finish her scrapbooks. I immediately emailed and offered to help. I'm waiting on a response. I hope that I can help this mom feel peace when knowing that her children will always remember her.

On a lighter note, I just finished another fantastic book. It's called "The Wednesday Letters" by Jason F. Wright. VERY moving book. Here's a description for the web site.

The Wednesday Letters is the story of Jack and Laurel. Married 39 years, the Coopers lived a good life and appear to have had a near-perfect relationship. Then one night, with his wife cradled in his arms, and before Jack takes his last breath, he scribbles his final "Wednesday Letter."
When their three adult children arrive to arrange the funeral, they discover boxes and boxes full of love letters that their father wrote to their mother on every single Wednesday. As they begin to open and read the letters, the children uncover unimaginable adventures and the shocking truth about their past.
The Wednesday Letters has a powerful message about redemption and forgiveness. And it just might inspire you to begin writing your own Wednesday Letters.


Well, I'm off to plan this weeks menu. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment